Asparagus with Maple Tahini Dressing

Vegan asparagus with tahini maple dressing is a lovely gluten free side dish
 
 
The Queen of Spring. Asparagus.

It's a welcome signal of warmer days (and nights!) when those bundles of slender green stalks are back, standing tall in elegant rows at the local market. Erect, perky little beauties.

My deep and abiding craving for asparagus is surprising for someone who never tendered a single bite of fresh asparagus until my third decade here on planet Earth. Yes, you read that right. Three decades. I admit it.

I was anti-asparagus.

In my own defense, I must mention, in full transparency, that the only asparagus I was served in childhood came from a can. A CAN. And Darling! If you've never had the non-pleasure of noshing said limp and stringy excuse for a such a brilliant vegetable, I am here to assure you, it was tinny, flaccid, and disgusting with a capital D (and in full disclosure, it ended up buried deep inside my paper napkin, doomed for the garbage pail as soon as the parental and familial accomplices to this vegetable horror were occupied elsewhere, tuning into the Lawrence Welk Show).


But now? Tender crisp, fresh and dressed in my maple tahini dressing? I could eat asparagus till the grass fed cows come home. Happy as a Green Goddess in vegetable heaven. Can you overdose on asparagus? I hope not. Because I'm indulging every chance I get.

Karina xo
 
 


Asparagus with tahini maple dressing is vegan and gluten free

Karina's Asparagus Recipe with Maple Tahini Dressing

By Karina Allrich April 2009.

I cooked this batch of asparagus quickly- not even five minutes- because I wanted the stalks to be tender but ever-so-slightly crisp. I served them at room temperature with our favorite dressing.

Ingredients:

1 bunch of perky thin asparagus, enough for four servings

For the dressing:

2 tablespoons sesame tahini
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Hot water, as needed

For serving:

Coarse sea salt or Kosher salt

Instructions:

Trim the bottom ends of the asparagus stalks, rinse, and lay them in a skillet; I used my big iron skillet. Add just enough water to keep them from scorching and cook them briefly, rotating them until they are bright green. Taste test for doneness to your liking.

Rinse them quickly in cool water (I do this to stop them from cooking, getting too soft, and turning yellowish green; I like them bright and crisp for this dressing).

Whisk the dressing ingredients in a glass measuring cup; add a little bit of hot water to thin. Whisk till smooth. Taste test and adjust the balance of sweet and nutty and tart. (I don't add salt to the dressing because I serve the asparagus with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt over the top.)

Serve the drained asparagus on a plate with a drizzle of Maple Tahini Dressing and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.

Cook time: 5 min

Yield: Serves 4

Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddessrecipes.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 






Total Pageviews